From: Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 17:45:18
1 Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
2 for some time now. But when I updated my system recently, the latest
3 (unstable) libjpeg-turbo-1.3.0-r2 seems to have taken a giant step
4 backward. Here is the Gentoo changelog for 1.3.0-r2:
5
6 "Revert back to .so.62 with 2 functions backported from .so.8, namely
7 jpeg_mem_dest() and jpeg_mem_src(). ABIs .so.7 and .so.8 are dead and
8 shouldn't be used anywhere anymore."
9
10 This sudden change required the re-emerge of a LOT of packages.
11
12 I have not been able to find any background information on the
13 reason for this change. Does anyone know the story behind this
14 elimination of the newer JPEG ABI's and the step back to .so.62?
15 Has any functionality, such as lossless cropping, been affected?
16
17 Frank Peters