From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Libjpeg-Turbo Drops Newer ABIs
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2013 18:40:29
1 On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Frank Peters <frank.peters@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Libjpeg-turbo has been the default jpeg image processor on Gentoo
3 > for some time now. But when I updated my system recently, the latest
4 > (unstable) libjpeg-turbo-1.3.0-r2 seems to have taken a giant step
5 > backward. Here is the Gentoo changelog for 1.3.0-r2:
6 >
7 > "Revert back to .so.62 with 2 functions backported from .so.8, namely
8 > jpeg_mem_dest() and jpeg_mem_src(). ABIs .so.7 and .so.8 are dead and
9 > shouldn't be used anywhere anymore."
10 >
11 > This sudden change required the re-emerge of a LOT of packages.
12 >
13 > I have not been able to find any background information on the
14 > reason for this change. Does anyone know the story behind this
15 > elimination of the newer JPEG ABI's and the step back to .so.62?
16 > Has any functionality, such as lossless cropping, been affected?
17 >
18 > Frank Peters
22 Looking around a bit more I found this in an Ubuntu notice:
23
24 * Update debian/copyright:
25 - add RSA Data Security copyright (md5).
26
27 The rest looks fairly innocuous to me.
28
29 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libjpeg-turbo/+changelog
30
31 I didn't find anything in CERT.