From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] How to run a divx file?
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 13:14:21
1 Paul Stear wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 May 2008, Mark Haney wrote:
3 >
4 > <snip>
5 > It seems that I have my facts wrong the file extension is HDV.XviD.avi --
6 > Can I play this on gentoo?
7 > Paul
8
9 xvid (IIRC) is the open source DIVX implementation inside an AVI
10 wrapper. You should be able to play that video without any trouble,
11 except for the DRM stuff that seems to be requiring you to download a
12 specific movie player (presumably loaded up with such fantastic features
13 as spyware and viruses). I've seen this before and I suggest you just
14 delete that file and find one NOT DRM enabled as this one is.
19 Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
22 Mark Haney
23 Sr. Systems Administrator
24 ERC Broadband
25 (828) 350-2415
26
27 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list