From: ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 07:16:22
1 On Fri, 30 May 2008 22:16:06 +0200
2 "Hemmann, Volker Armin" <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On Freitag, 30. Mai 2008, Duncan wrote:
5 >
6 > > I've not done paludis due to its lack of binary package support.
7 > > Even tho I'm running only a single computer
8 >
9 > there is another reason not to use paludis:
10 >
11 > you can't go back.
12 >
13 > At least not easily.
14 >
15 > With pkgcore you can switch between pkgcore and portage 'on the fly'.
16 > emerge app a, pmerge app b, emerge app c.
17 >
18 > The config files are not touched.
19 >
20 > Paludis on the other hand can only described with 'vendor lock in'
21 > and 'gratuitous incompatibilty'. And don't forget that it is slow.
22 >
23 > That it also requires a shitload of dependencies and installs more
24 > crap than portage and pkgcore combined doesn't make it better.
25 >
26 > At a last point: don't forget WHO is behind paludis - some of the
27 > most abusive persons gentoo has ever seen. The same people
28 > responsible for most problems.
29 >
30 > Abusive, agressive, searching for stuff that is not covered by rules,
31 > behave like a rabid ape until everything is covered by rules,
32 > suffocating gentoo and then turn into rule nazis and game the system.
33 > Yes, this people are behind paludis - and 'exherbo'.
34 1.You can go back to portage after paludis, please read before post,
35 and you can do it easy.
36 2.when it comes to speed paludis is much faster...man do a simple test,
37 stop talking if you don't know what you're talking about
38 3."The same people responsible for most problems."....WHAT? where did
39 that came from? what's the developer's personality has to do with
40 anything?Paludis has great support from it's developers(they've been
41 very helpful and pacient with me) and that is all I need to know about
42 the developer, if he is beating his wife it's not a matter of your
43 concern.
44 The last phrase deserves no comment. It's neither nice nor productive,
45 nor in any way positive, and might be regarded as an insult
46 --
47 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list