From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:16:23
1 On Freitag, 30. Mai 2008, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > I've not done paludis due to its lack of binary package support. Even
4 > tho I'm running only a single computer
5
6 there is another reason not to use paludis:
7
8 you can't go back.
9
10 At least not easily.
11
12 With pkgcore you can switch between pkgcore and portage 'on the fly'. emerge
13 app a, pmerge app b, emerge app c.
14
15 The config files are not touched.
16
17 Paludis on the other hand can only described with 'vendor lock in'
18 and 'gratuitous incompatibilty'. And don't forget that it is slow.
19
20 That it also requires a shitload of dependencies and installs more crap than
21 portage and pkgcore combined doesn't make it better.
22
23 At a last point: don't forget WHO is behind paludis - some of the most abusive
24 persons gentoo has ever seen. The same people responsible for most problems.
25
26 Abusive, agressive, searching for stuff that is not covered by rules, behave
27 like a rabid ape until everything is covered by rules, suffocating gentoo and
28 then turn into rule nazis and game the system. Yes, this people are behind
29 paludis - and 'exherbo'.
30 --
31 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list