From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: KDE 4.0.4 upgrade, sort of.
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 16:40:47
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560805300619v2631c50exe0dfa95ea11e2c34@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Fri, 30 May 2008 13:19:08 +0000:
4
5 > you unistall it and install the new slot. the kde 4.1 should have the
6 > kde4 slot while the kde4.1 beta has the kde4-live slot. you can clearly
7 > see that they're different slots and that removing one doesn't prevent
8 > you from using the other. anyway, in my opinion that overlay will die
9 > after the kde4.1 will hit portage or soon after that.
10
11 Do the KDE-live builds require paludis? I recall reading that they were
12 headed that way, because it could support an EAPI with needed features
13 while portage couldn't yet. Those builds were live only and were to stay
14 in the overlay since packages in the main tree must support portage. It
15 was the non-live snapshot versions that were the portage ebuilds, to
16 eventually be targeted at the tree, after they became release ebuilds, of
17 course.
18
19 I've not done paludis due to its lack of binary package support. Even
20 tho I'm running only a single computer, I use binary packages for
21 installation backups and handy lookup reference since I can just dig in
22 the appropriate package tarball to see what an old version of a file
23 looked like, so lack of binary package support is as far as I'm concerned
24 a blocker, here. But I guess it hasn't been a priority (sort of like
25 proxy support in KDE4, from what I read). <shrug> If it works for
26 them... but it's not going to work for me without it.
31 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
34 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list