From: Mark Haney <mhaney@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] USB flash drive mount point fun
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:37:34
1 Lukas Oliva wrote:
2 > Let me get this straight, you mount your flash disc, copy your files
3 > and work and bythis time, you never get the stick off, you never do
4 > umount/remount and for some reason you find, your device changed? Or 2)
5 > You mounted coppied, worked, got it off, then replugged and saw
6 > different device? Or 3) As in the second possibility, but unmounted it
7 > correctly first?
8 > If the second or third is what you did, you can write yourself some udev
9 > rule.
10 >
11 > plhu
14 Okay, obviously I'm sucking at making things clear today. Here's a
15 second stab at what I"m doing. I have a USB flash drive (2GB). I plub
16 it into the USB port on my laptop. I copy files. I dig around for the
17 other files I need, I go back to copy more files (via konqueror) and
18 /while the usb drive is still and has been connected the entire time/ I
19 look and see that the drive has moved from /media/sda1 to /media/sdb1.
20
21 I copy more files, look around, find more things to copy, go back and
22 the drive is now at /media/sdc1, etc. All the while I've not unmounted
23 or removed the drive at all. It's just sitting there blinking it's
24 little green LED light occasionally.
25
26 Does that make a little more sense?
32 Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico
33 fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum
36 Mark Haney
37 Sr. Systems Administrator
38 ERC Broadband
39 (828) 350-2415
40
41 Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
42 --
43 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list