From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerging package as both 64 and 32 bit
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:24:29
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200612220854.59448.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 22 Dec
3 2006 08:54:59 -0600:
4
5 > Also, it's technically possible for the bootloader to switch into extended
6 > mode before loading the kernel, but not done (in GRUB, at least) for solid
7 > technical reasons. (IIRC, there's some memory mappings that have to be
8 > set up before entering extended mode.)
9
10 That's something I've actually always wondered, so it's interesting to see
11 a bit on it. Is there anything not /too/ technical* but somewhat
12 more detailed you could point me to?
13
14 *I'm not a C/C++/ASM coder, but understand the terminology well enough to
15 find many LKML discussions interesting, for instance, and I'd say I follow
16 about half of the LWN kernel page articles, enough to have found myself
17 recently correcting (I think/hope) some inaccuracies in a Linux.com article
18 by Joe Barr, for instance, see the article and comments following here, my
19 comment should be obvious, given its length <g>:
20 http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/14/1910259
25 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
28 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list