From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerging package as both 64 and 32 bit
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 03:48:11
1 On Friday 22 December 2006 15:20, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: Emerging package as both 64 and 32 bit':
3 > "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
4 > 200612220854.59448.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 22
5 > Dec
6 >
7 > 2006 08:54:59 -0600:
8 > > Also, it's technically possible for the bootloader to switch into
9 > > extended mode before loading the kernel, but not done (in GRUB, at
10 > > least) for solid technical reasons. (IIRC, there's some memory
11 > > mappings that have to be set up before entering extended mode.)
12 >
13 > That's something I've actually always wondered, so it's interesting to
14 > see a bit on it. Is there anything not /too/ technical* but somewhat
15 > more detailed you could point me to?
16
17 I don't have anything bookmarked, but I'll look around after I get back
18 from work and see if I can dig up any more references.
21 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
22 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
23 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
24 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh