From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:30:11
1 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> posted
2 200609280212.48872.bss03@××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Thu, 28 Sep
3 2006 02:12:44 -0500:
4
5 > [1] Actually, I've seen a Debian package that claims to allow 64-bit
6 > konqueror to use 32-bit flash (and other nsplugins) but I don't know if
7 > that package is available for Gentoo.
8
9 I think it might be as I've read of the package as well. However, I don't
10 do slaveryware, and most freedomware (everything I use minus grub, which
11 is a special case due to amd64 initially booting in 16-bit real-mode, not
12 even 32-bit protected mode, for compatibility reasons) has already been
13 ported to amd64, so I compile it 64-bit. Thus I have no use for that
14 32-bit kludge and didn't worry about retaining the details.
15
16 As for video drivers, I'm running a very stable Radeon 9200 series card,
17 an r200 series chip, which ATI released specs on so it has supported
18 hardware 3D for awhile. It's AGP. I'm not upgrading mobo for several
19 more years yet (I'll be upgrading to dual dual-core Opteron 285s later
20 this year or early next, as they continue to move down the pricing scale,
21 I have 8 gig memory and 4x300 gig SATA in RAID, so with the 2x dual-cores,
22 I figure I'll be good for another 3 years, perhaps more, and will likely
23 upgrade to single CPU 8-core when it gets mid-range), and if the situation
24 hasn't changed by then -- which I'm hoping it will with AMD buying ATI --
25 I'll likely be switching back to Intel for the first time since the
26 mid-90s, since they have good free video drivers. I'd definitely be
27 buying Intel if I were in the market today, for that reason. I didn't
28 switch to Linux after a decade on slaveryware just to be enslaved by a
29 different master, and enslaved it is, when the lack of ATI and NVidia
30 drivers is the only reason xorg-7.1 is not yet stable on x86 or amd64,
31 and it's the same thing with other distributions -- their actions are
32 holding a large segment of the would-be free software world hostage. Call
33 it what you like, I call choosing to be a hostage to the whims of a
34 software overlord choosing to be enslaved, and I both refuse to do it,
35 and refuse to have my money go toward funding the slave-masters!
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
43 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list