From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:20:24
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org]On Behalf Of Duncan
3 > Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:27 AM
4 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?
6 >
7 > I didn't
8 > switch to Linux after a decade on slaveryware just to be enslaved by a
9 > different master, and enslaved it is,
10
11 Not really, *most* people will be, just as "enslaved" even if they do use a GPLed version of the software.
12
13 > when the lack of ATI and NVidia
14 > drivers is the only reason xorg-7.1 is not yet stable on x86 or amd64,
15 > and it's the same thing with other distributions -- their actions are
16 > holding a large segment of the would-be free software world hostage. Call
17 > it what you like, I call choosing to be a hostage to the whims of a
18 > software overlord choosing to be enslaved, and I both refuse to do it,
19 > and refuse to have my money go toward funding the slave-masters!
20
21 How is that different from people who can't read code being at the whims of Linux kernel developers?
22
23 The fact is, that's a weak argument at best, it's valid for a very small group of people, namely programmers. Everyone else, even if they use "freedomware," has to depend on *someone else* to fix/modify/update the app/utility/driver.
24
25 I fail to see that it really makes much of a difference whether Jane Avgusr is dependent on a Linux kernel developer or on an engineer working at nVidia.
26
27 > --
28 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
29 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
30 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 There really is no such thing as "slaveryware" or "freedomware" it's all just software, and anyone who doesn't read/write code, which is the vast majority of the population by the way, is dependent (i.e. "enslaved" by RS's terminology) on someone else, who that someone else is, doesn't really make much difference in terms of the dynamics of the relationship.
36 Regards
37 Bob Young
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list