From: felix@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:27:28
1 There sure as heck is a difference between slaveryware and
2 freedomware. It may seem to you that, for non-programmers, there is
3 no difference between not being able to recode Microsoft or Apple
4 software vs Linux software, but there is a world of difference. With
5 proprietary software, there is only once legal path to mods, and that
6 is to convince the owner to change the software as you would like,
7 either by big bucks or a massive publicity campaign. With Linux, even
8 if I can't do it, there are hundreds of thousands of people who could,
9 and it would only take a few bucks or a good friend to do it. It is
10 not only possible, easily, but also there is a lot of choice on how to
11 do it. That is the essence of freedom.
12
13 It absolutely is just like a car, or a house, or anything else. If my
14 house could only be modified by the original builder, it would never
15 be modified -- I'd never even get a picture hung for want of being
16 able to put a nail in a stud. Now maybe I can't add a drawbridge to
17 my house myself, I can't do the welding or design, but my friend
18 could, and did.
19
20 There is a HUGE difference between slaveryware and freedomware. A
21 vital essential difference. It is why I run Linux myself.
25 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
26 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
27 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o
28 --
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list