From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:33:29
1 On Thursday 28 September 2006 13:16, "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
2 wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
3 slaveryware)':
4 > > -----Original Message-----
5 > > From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org]On Behalf Of Duncan
6 > > Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 3:27 AM
7 > > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
8 > > Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV?
9 > >
10 > > I didn't
11 > > switch to Linux after a decade on slaveryware just to be enslaved by a
12 > > different master, and enslaved it is,
13 >
14 > Not really, *most* people will be, just as "enslaved" even if they do
15 > use a GPLed version of the software.
16
17 Not true. The freedom to modify the code is important even if the user
18 cannot directly exert it, because it allows the user to pay someone *other
19 than the copyright holder* to do the modifications for them.
20
21 Also, anyone is allowed to give their friend free software and to use free
22 software for any purpose. Those freedoms are not provided to users of
23 non-free software.
24
25 > > when the lack of ATI and NVidia
26 > > drivers is the only reason xorg-7.1 is not yet stable on x86 or amd64,
27 > > and it's the same thing with other distributions -- their actions are
28 > > holding a large segment of the would-be free software world hostage.
29 > > Call it what you like, I call choosing to be a hostage to the whims of
30 > > a software overlord choosing to be enslaved, and I both refuse to do
31 > > it, and refuse to have my money go toward funding the slave-masters!
32 >
33 > How is that different from people who can't read code being at the whims
34 > of Linux kernel developers?
35
36 No one is at the whims of the kernel developers. Even if you can't read
37 code, you can communicate with people *other than the kernel developers*
38 who can read code. You aren't forced to trust the kernel developers word
39 that patch X is "better" for linux. Sure, it may improve performance in
40 90% of the cases -- but what if you are in the other 10%? Even if you
41 don't understand code, it's simple enough to reverse a patch.
42
43 > The fact is, that's a weak argument at best,
44
45 I call BS.
46
47 > it's valid for a very small
48 > group of people, namely programmers. Everyone else, even if they use
49 > "freedomware," has to depend on *someone else* to fix/modify/update the
50 > app/utility/driver.
51
52 Yes, they might have to contact someone else. But, the are forced to send
53 all changes through *one particular entity*. They can make their own
54 choices on how the software they use is modified. Remember, free (libre)
55 software isn't free (gratis). The production (and maintenance) of
56 software has a cost and not matter how you license it you *can't* make
57 that cost go away.
58
59 > I fail to see that it really makes much of a difference whether Jane
60 > Avgusr is dependent on a Linux kernel developer or on an engineer
61 > working at nVidia.
62
63 Because *no one* is dependent on the linux kernel developers. You can make
64 the needed changes. If you don't have the ability to, you can get someone
65 else to using other resources available to you. E.g. I really need my
66 lawn mowed and I hate doing it; I'll trade you a mowed lawn for a kernel
67 patch.
68
69 Someone *has* to pay for the cost of maintaining and improving software.
70 That's economic fact. NVidia says you have to pay *them* to improve their
71 software. Linux kernel developers says you can pay *anyone with the
72 skills* (or use your own time) to improve the software. Clearly, you have
73 more options (and are thus more free) with free software.
74
75 > There really is no such thing as "slaveryware" or "freedomware" it's all
76
77 Yes, there very well is. I want software I'm free to distribute (I need
78 freedomware). I want software I'm free to use how I see fit (I need
79 freedom ware). I want software I can profile and audit myself
80
81 > just software, and anyone who doesn't read/write code, which is the vast
82 > majority of the population by the way, is dependent (i.e. "enslaved" by
83 > RS's terminology) on someone else, who that someone else is, doesn't
84 > really make much difference in terms of the dynamics of the
85 > relationship.
86
87 Analogy:
88 improving and maintaining software = food
89 software companies and individual developers = farms and farmers
90
91 So, you are saying it "doesn't make much different" whether I'm forced to
92 buy all my food from one particular farm or if I'm allowed to buy food
93 from any farmer (probably on the free market)?
94
95 The fact is that is DOES matter. And anyone that doesn't understand that
96 is simplifying things to much.
99 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
100 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
101 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
102 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh