From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:45:08
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. [mailto:bss03@××××××××××.net]
3 > Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:31 PM
4 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
6 > slaveryware)
9 > On Thursday 28 September 2006 13:16, "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
10 > wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
11 > slaveryware)':
12 > > Not really, *most* people will be, just as "enslaved" even if they do
13 > > use a GPLed version of the software.
14 >
15 > Not true. The freedom to modify the code is important even if the user
16 > cannot directly exert it, because it allows the user to pay
17 > someone *other
18 > than the copyright holder* to do the modifications for them.
19
20 So...? instead of being dependent upon the original vendor, the user is dependent upon the contractor s/he hires to do the modifications. I don't consider the option of transferring dependence from one entity to another entity as being real freedom.
21
22 I will grant you that in instances where the original vendor no longer wishes to maintain/fix/update a piece of software, I believe that the source should be released, either GPLed, or just pure public domain, but that's not what we're talking about in this debate.
23
24 > Also, anyone is allowed to give their friend free software and to use free
25 > software for any purpose. Those freedoms are not provided to users of
26 > non-free software.
27
28 Now you're muddying the waters between libre and gratis, I can give you hundreds of examples of freeware or shareware that I can *legally* give to my friends without charge, but that don't have source code available. So in the sentence above what exactly is "free software" and what differentiates it from "non-free software?"
31 > > > when the lack of ATI and NVidia
32 > > > drivers is the only reason xorg-7.1 is not yet stable on x86 or amd64,
33 > > > and it's the same thing with other distributions -- their actions are
34 > > > holding a large segment of the would-be free software world hostage.
35 > > > Call it what you like, I call choosing to be a hostage to the whims of
36 > > > a software overlord choosing to be enslaved, and I both refuse to do
37 > > > it, and refuse to have my money go toward funding the slave-masters!
38 > >
39 > > How is that different from people who can't read code being at the whims
40 > > of Linux kernel developers?
41 >
42 > No one is at the whims of the kernel developers. Even if you can't read
43 > code, you can communicate with people *other than the kernel developers*
44 > who can read code.
45
46 Okay, but since you can't read code, you have to *trust* whomever you do contact, they could just as easily be mistaken, or make an error without you knowing it. Why is being dependent upon someone else instead of <fill in the blank>, but still dependent nonetheless, considered freedom?
49 > You aren't forced to trust the kernel developers word
50 > that patch X is "better" for linux. Sure, it may improve performance in
51 > 90% of the cases -- but what if you are in the other 10%? Even if you
52 > don't understand code, it's simple enough to reverse a patch.
53
54 Uhhhh....and binary patches can't be reversed, that doesn't require source code to be available.
55
56 > > I fail to see that it really makes much of a difference whether Jane
57 > > Avgusr is dependent on a Linux kernel developer or on an engineer
58 > > working at nVidia.
59 >
60 > Because *no one* is dependent on the linux kernel developers. You can make
61 > the needed changes. If you don't have the ability to,
62
63 As is the case for 99.99 percent of the population.
64
65 > you can get someone
66 > else to using other resources available to you.
67
68 So instead of depending on a kernel developer, I'm depending on a contractor I hire, I just don't see that as dramatically different.
69
70 > E.g. I really need my
71 > lawn mowed and I hate doing it; I'll trade you a mowed lawn for a kernel
72 > patch.
73
74 LOL..nice in theory, but I seriously doubt that many people are actually bartering for kernel patches.
77 > Someone *has* to pay for the cost of maintaining and improving software.
78 > That's economic fact. NVidia says you have to pay *them* to improve their
79 > software. Linux kernel developers says you can pay *anyone with the
80 > skills* (or use your own time) to improve the software. Clearly,
81 > you have more options (and are thus more free) with free software.
82
83 If I'm not doing it myself, I see little difference whether I pay one entity, or pay another.
84
85 > > There really is no such thing as "slaveryware" or "freedomware" it's all
86 >
87 > Yes, there very well is. I want software I'm free to distribute (I need
88 > freedomware).
89
90 That's fine for you, but it isn't important to most users, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't need to be.
91
92 > I want software I'm free to use how I see fit (I need
93 > freedom ware).
94
95 Depends on what how you define "see fit." For most users there is nothing specifically provided by open source that they absolutely require.
96
97 > I want software I can profile and audit myself
98
99 That's fine for you, but it isn't important to most users, and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't need to be.
100
101 > Analogy:
102 > improving and maintaining software = food
103 > software companies and individual developers = farms and farmers
104
105 Software is not food, software is software, and developers are not farmers, they are developers.
106
107 > So, you are saying it "doesn't make much different" whether I'm forced to
108 > buy all my food from one particular farm or if I'm allowed to buy food
109 > from any farmer (probably on the free market)?
110
111 I'm saying that end users are free to buy or not buy hardware/software from any vendor based on the capabilities, features, reputation, and reviews of that hardware/software. The availability/nonavailability of source code doesn't add/subtract freedom from the transaction at all, at least in real world practical terms for most users.
112
113 > The fact is that is DOES matter. And anyone that doesn't understand that
114 > is simplifying things to much.
115
116 It is simple, very simple, you're just over intellectualizing it and romanticizing it.
119 Regards
120 Bob Young
125 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list