From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:20:43
1 "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com> posted
2 FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJEMEHFHKAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:43:12 -0700:
4
5 >> > I fail to see that it really makes much of a difference whether Jane
6 >> > Avgusr is dependent on a Linux kernel developer or on an engineer
7 >> > working at nVidia.
8 >>
9 >> Because *no one* is dependent on the linux kernel developers. You can
10 >> make the needed changes. If you don't have the ability to,
11 >
12 > As is the case for 99.99 percent of the population.
13
14 That may be, but 99.99 percent of the population isn't me. (FWIW
15 that's something I'm sure both they and I am very glad about! Can you
16 imagine billions of Duncans around? <shudder> =8^)
17
18 As I said in a different reply, "slaveryware" vs. "freedomware" is simply
19 the point in my experience I've come to. I don't expect others to have
20 come to the same point, or necessarily find my terms represent their
21 experience. All I'm doing is fairly representing my own experience,
22 calling things exactly as I see them, unvarnished with "political
23 correctness".
24
25 >> Someone *has* to pay for the cost of maintaining and improving software.
26 >> That's economic fact. NVidia says you have to pay *them* to improve
27 >> their software. Linux kernel developers says you can pay *anyone with
28 >> the skills* (or use your own time) to improve the software. Clearly,
29 >> you have more options (and are thus more free) with free software.
30 >
31 > If I'm not doing it myself, I see little difference whether I pay one
32 > entity, or pay another.
33
34 It's a bit of a side point compared to the above, but if you don't see a
35 difference between having to pay one entity and being able to make a
36 choice between thousands or millions of such entities, I can only hope
37 that all your aches and pains can ever be cured by your choice of
38 acetaminophen, aspirin, etc one can buy at the local drug, grocer, or
39 convenience store, or even simply by taking it easy a few hours, and that
40 you never face the hard choice of paying for a single supplier patented
41 new drug to save your life or that of a loved one, or buying food and/or
42 paying rent. The fact of the matter is, many suppliers gives you vastly
43 more freedom/flexibility than a single supplier, and with that
44 freedom/flexibility not coincidentally comes a rather drastic drop in
45 cost, yet the suppliers still seem to stay n business.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list