From: Bob Young <byoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:52:13
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2 > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> > -----Original Message-----
4 >> > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com]On
5 >> > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > > it's true from Duncan's perspective because that's the way it
7 >> *feels* to
8 >> > > him. In the end that's just feel good rationalization and total
9 >> > bullshit.
10 >> >
11 >> > Ok, so now you are saying that Duncan's opinion is wrong. You don't
12 >> > respect Duncan's opinion, but you expect us to respect yours? I call
13 >> > hypocrite.
14 >>
15 >> Nice strawman, I've never said, or implied that I didn't respect
16 >> Duncan's
17 >> opinion. In fact just the opposite, I've specifically told him that I
18 >> believe he has thought a lot about this, and that I believe he is
19 >> sincere.
20 >
21 > Then I apologize. I gathered that "total bullshit" was in reference
22 > to Duncan's beliefs.
23 >
24 No, I've always thought Duncan was sincere, and that he had given this a
25 great deal of thought.. The total bullshit remark was my disdain for the
26 practice (by some people) of advocating that no one should necessarily
27 have to support their opinions and the terms they use to express them
28 with real logic and evidence, in effect saying that anything goes, and
29 it's all okay as long as it's "what you feel," I think that's
30 intellectually bankrupt.
31
32 >> When was the last time that you personally submitted a *patch* for
33 >> some open
34 >> source app/utility/driver?
35 >
36 > Not really relevant to this discussion, but:
37 >
38 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/39777
39 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/40207
40 >
41 >> Another example: It would take me a very long time to fix a problem
42 >> with a
43 >> SCSI driver, compared to someone who works on SCSI drivers regularly.
44 >> Would
45 >> *you* want to pay for the many extra hours of troubleshooting due to my
46 >> inexperience with <fill in blank> type of code?
47 >
48 > Well the alsa patches above did take me dozens of hours to figure out.
49 > Much of that was figuring out how the alsa driver worked, studying
50 > the Intel HDA specification, and fiddling with own hardware. So yes,
51 > it can take an amazing amount of time.
52 >
53 > The point is, anybody _can_ do it, if they are willing to invest the
54 > time and effort into it. It is very very much like learning a foreign
55 > language. I don't speak German...so I am totally dependant upon a
56 > translator if I want to communicate with someone who speaks only
57 > German. But should I not be able to find a translator willing to work
58 > for what I am willing to pay, I always have the option of learning to
59 > speak German myself.
60 I suppose it comes down how one values being technically correct versus
61 what actually happens in the real world. Personally I tend to be more
62 practical, but certainly the world needs people who stick to the exact
63 letter of the law, as we do of course need some accountants and lawyers.
64
65 That being said, I can't resist making the tangential and totally off
66 topic comment that I think America in general, has gone waaaaay too far
67 toward the *exact letter of the law* side. Zero tolerance, mandatory
68 sentences, and just the general "climate" of the society has removed so
69 much of the decision making and discretion that was available in the
70 past. It has been removed at all levels of government, everybody from
71 grade school principles, to circuit court judges, have almost no choice
72 in how to handle the situations and cases that come before them.. Thus
73 we are in a society where: a student is suspended for giving another
74 student aspirin, a 19 yr old is a registered sex offender for having
75 consensual sex with his 16yr old girlfriend, and you can be sent to
76 prison for life for stealing a slice of pizza.. I hope the pendulum
77 starts to swing the other way, and at least some of this madness gets
78 reversed, but to be honest, I'm not very optimistic.
81 >> All code is not the same, and software engineers are not all
82 >> interchangeable.
83 >
84 > Heh, try telling that to management at ${mycompany}! ;-P
85 >
86 Are you kidding, it has taken me years to explain just some of it to my
87 wife [:-)
90 Regards
91 Bob Young
92 --