From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 07:27:56
1 On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > > -----Original Message-----
3 > > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com]On
4 > > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > it's true from Duncan's perspective because that's the way it *feels* to
6 > > > him. In the end that's just feel good rationalization and total
7 > > bullshit.
8 > >
9 > > Ok, so now you are saying that Duncan's opinion is wrong. You don't
10 > > respect Duncan's opinion, but you expect us to respect yours? I call
11 > > hypocrite.
12 >
13 > Nice strawman, I've never said, or implied that I didn't respect Duncan's
14 > opinion. In fact just the opposite, I've specifically told him that I
15 > believe he has thought a lot about this, and that I believe he is sincere.
16
17 Then I apologize. I gathered that "total bullshit" was in reference
18 to Duncan's beliefs.
19
20 > When was the last time that you personally submitted a *patch* for some open
21 > source app/utility/driver?
22
23 Not really relevant to this discussion, but:
24
25 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/39777
26 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/40207
27
28 > Another example: It would take me a very long time to fix a problem with a
29 > SCSI driver, compared to someone who works on SCSI drivers regularly. Would
30 > *you* want to pay for the many extra hours of troubleshooting due to my
31 > inexperience with <fill in blank> type of code?
32
33 Well the alsa patches above did take me dozens of hours to figure out.
34 Much of that was figuring out how the alsa driver worked, studying
35 the Intel HDA specification, and fiddling with own hardware. So yes,
36 it can take an amazing amount of time.
37
38 The point is, anybody _can_ do it, if they are willing to invest the
39 time and effort into it. It is very very much like learning a foreign
40 language. I don't speak German...so I am totally dependant upon a
41 translator if I want to communicate with someone who speaks only
42 German. But should I not be able to find a translator willing to work
43 for what I am willing to pay, I always have the option of learning to
44 speak German myself.
45
46 > All code is not the same, and software engineers are not all
47 > interchangeable.
48
49 Heh, try telling that to management at ${mycompany}! ;-P
50
51 -Richard
52 --
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list