From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:04:30
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com]On
3 > Behalf Of Richard Fish
4 > Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 3:18 PM
5 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift
7 > -slaveryware)
10 > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > > > But they *do* accurately reflect the relationship between vendors and
12 > > > users from Duncan's viewpoint. Your viewpoint is obviously different,
13 > > > but doesn't mean yours is the only "true" one.
14 > >
15 > > Oh please, spare me the relative truth crap. You can argue all
16 > you want that
17 > > it's true from Duncan's perspective because that's the way it *feels* to
18 > > him. In the end that's just feel good rationalization and total
19 > bullshit.
20 >
21 > Ok, so now you are saying that Duncan's opinion is wrong. You don't
22 > respect Duncan's opinion, but you expect us to respect yours? I call
23 > hypocrite.
24
25 Nice strawman, I've never said, or implied that I didn't respect Duncan's
26 opinion. In fact just the opposite, I've specifically told him that I
27 believe he has thought a lot about this, and that I believe he is sincere.
28 Thinking that someone is wrong, or believing that they are using unjustified
29 terms to express their opinion is not disrespect.
30
31 > > conveniently avoids the confrontational point, namely that
32 > there isn't any
33 > > hard concrete logic and reason to support or justify the usage
34 > of words such
35 > > as slaveryware and freedomware.
36 >
37 > Hard concrete logic: *everybody* has the right to modify and
38 > distribute open source software. How is that *not* freedom?
39
40 As far as *modification* goes I've already admitted that technically you're
41 correct that *is* a freedom, however to equate it with the freedoms that
42 people have given their life to protect is to do a great disservice to the
43 word freedom.
44
45 As to distribution, I can show you literally thousands of examples of
46 freeware and shareware that I can distribute legally, and they don't have
47 source code available, so that's not an advantage of OSS.
48
49 > Oh, wait, I can hear you now: "but that is no different than with
50 > closed source". You already know the counter argument: with closed
51 > source, the only people who can provide the patch are those who own
52 > the source.
53
54 The point is that even when someone has the "freedom" to have someone else
55 fix a bug in an OSS app, %99.999 of the time, people wait until it's done by
56 the original developer/maintainer. Since that's the case, %99.999 of the
57 time there is no difference between the way bugs are handled under OSS and
58 the way they are handled under CSS. Given that, are CSS users really
59 "enslaved"...No they are not.
60
61 When was the last time that you personally submitted a *patch* for some open
62 source app/utility/driver?
63
64 > With open source, anybody can produce and send a patch to
65 > the user.
66
67 No, No, NO! *anybody* can't! and that's the point. You're scenario is nice
68 in theory, but it doesn't actually work in the real world. I'm a software
69 engineer, and I have enough trouble debugging and fixing code that I'm
70 familiar with and have written my self. In the past, I use to write graphics
71 drivers for a living, how successful and efficient do you think I would be
72 at troubleshooting a problem with a database application? Answer: I would
73 totally suck at it.
74
75 Another example: It would take me a very long time to fix a problem with a
76 SCSI driver, compared to someone who works on SCSI drivers regularly. Would
77 *you* want to pay for the many extra hours of troubleshooting due to my
78 inexperience with <fill in blank> type of code?
79
80 All code is not the same, and software engineers are not all
81 interchangeable. That's one reason why this "users are *free* to have anyone
82 modify/fix an open source app/utility/driver" is ssuch total crap.
85 Regards
86 Bob Young
90 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list