From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:22:50
1 "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com> posted
2 FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJECEMEHKAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:01:19 -0700:
4
5 > When was the last time that you personally submitted a *patch* for some
6 > open source app/utility/driver?
7
8 Matter of fact, altho I don't claim to do C or C++, I do do a bit of
9 scripting, and have submitted several ebuild and initscripts patches this
10 year. =8^)
11
12 Of course, I'm not "most people" nor would I /want/ to be, but certainly,
13 understanding scripting isn't /too/ hard, and most Gentoo users in any
14 case should be able to do it and thus post patches at that level with
15 little difficulty. Again tho, "most Gentoo users" do tend to still be a
16 cut above "most Linux users", technical literacy wise. Still, bash
17 scripting is something anyone that can decently manage his own system
18 should be able to do if they choose to, and the fact that nearly all Linux
19 systems use shell scripting for their init sequence demonstrably leaves
20 them freer, more open to users, than the comparatively opaque boot process
21 of many closed source systems out there. (I know, this is one thing I
22 immediately appreciated about Linux when switching from MS, and taking
23 apart and reassembling the Mandrake initscripts is how I actually learned
24 my bash scripting.)
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
32 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list