From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new laptop
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 15:45:07
1 2008/2/6, Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>:
4 > On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 13:44 +0000, Beso wrote:
7 > > the trip_points cannot be set manually, since the trip_points file is
8 > > readonly
9 > > for the moment my problem is that i cannot make the script to read the
10 > > acpi temperature.
11 > > for now i'd suggest for you to add some sensor monitor, like kima for
12 > > kde, or some others and use them to identify the acpi temperature.
13 > > when your thermal reaches 80° you'd have to set the cpufreq to
14 > > powersave so that the processor goes to the lowest freq and the
15 > > thermal
16 > >
17 > > temperature goes down. the console command to do this is:
18 > > cpufreq-set -g powersave
19 > > when the temperature goes around 60°-62° you can reset the
20 > > conservative governor so that you will have the processor go faster
21 > > when you need it.
22 > > cpufreq-set -g conservative.
23 > >
24 > > as soon as i finish the scripts to automatically adjust the processor
25 > > based on thermal readings i'll post them to you.
26 > >
27 > I have not been following this thread to closely so I apologize if this
28 > has already been mentioned. Have you considered ncpufreqd? According to
29 > the Gentoo power management guide:
30 >
31 > "Toggles the used governor between performance and powersave depending
32 > on system temperature. Very useful on laptops with notorious heat
33 > problems."
36 this could be a workaround for the issue. try emerging and testing it. if
37 this still doesn't work let me know so that i can continue to work on the
38 scripts. for the moment i'll stop working on them and wait for a positive or
39 negative answer from you.
42 dott. ing. beso