From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new laptop
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 14:30:18
1 On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 13:44 +0000, Beso wrote:
4 > the trip_points cannot be set manually, since the trip_points file is
5 > readonly
6 > for the moment my problem is that i cannot make the script to read the
7 > acpi temperature.
8 > for now i'd suggest for you to add some sensor monitor, like kima for
9 > kde, or some others and use them to identify the acpi temperature.
10 > when your thermal reaches 80° you'd have to set the cpufreq to
11 > powersave so that the processor goes to the lowest freq and the
12 > thermal
13 >
14 > temperature goes down. the console command to do this is:
15 > cpufreq-set -g powersave
16 > when the temperature goes around 60°-62° you can reset the
17 > conservative governor so that you will have the processor go faster
18 > when you need it.
19 > cpufreq-set -g conservative.
20 >
21 > as soon as i finish the scripts to automatically adjust the processor
22 > based on thermal readings i'll post them to you.
23 >
24 I have not been following this thread to closely so I apologize if this
25 has already been mentioned. Have you considered ncpufreqd? According to
26 the Gentoo power management guide:
27
28 "Toggles the used governor between performance and powersave depending
29 on system temperature. Very useful on laptops with notorious heat
30 problems."
33 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list