From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is it possible to get rid of firefox?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:41:14
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 10:22 Tue 18 Nov , Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> Many (but not all) of this type of package can be built against
4 >> xulrunner instead of firefox/seamonkey. Some do it automatically and
5 >> some need the USE flags to be set up this way. Get rid of any firefox
6 >> or seamonkey use flags and add +xulrunner use flag and see what a
7 >> emerge with --newuse wants to do.
8 >
9 > Of the top of your head do you remember any packages that require
10 > firefox as a necessary dependency?
11 >
12 > Just enquiring so that my current action doesn't prove foolish later,
13 > when i need a particular package that uses firefox as a necessary dependency.
14
15 I don't have any on my system, using xulrunner. I can remove firefox
16 and emerge never tries to bring it back from the dead. However, as you
17 noticed, xulrunner is basically as big as firefox.
18
19 An added bonus, though, is that firefox itself can build against
20 xulrunner, so if you're using xulrunner you might as well keep
21 firefox. Firefox 3.x takes just 45 seconds to compile on my machine
22 when using the xulrunner USE flag.
23
24 Basically, if you want to use any gecko/mozilla/firefox plug-ins,
25 you're stuck with some form of giant-package, either xulrunner or
26 mozilla-firefox.