From: Michael Moore <mikem.unet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Is it possible to get rid of firefox?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 13:32:36
1 On 11:41 Tue 18 Nov , Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > I don't have any on my system, using xulrunner. I can remove firefox
3 > and emerge never tries to bring it back from the dead. However, as you
4 > noticed, xulrunner is basically as big as firefox.
5 >
6 > An added bonus, though, is that firefox itself can build against
7 > xulrunner, so if you're using xulrunner you might as well keep
8 > firefox. Firefox 3.x takes just 45 seconds to compile on my machine
9 > when using the xulrunner USE flag.
10 >
11 > Basically, if you want to use any gecko/mozilla/firefox plug-ins,
12 > you're stuck with some form of giant-package, either xulrunner or
13 > mozilla-firefox.
14
15 I guess thats it then, i will have to perhaps keep it lying around.
16 I dont want to replace one heavyweight so that i can get punched by
17 another :-) Thanks for everybody's input though.
21 Regards,
22 Michael Moore <mikem.unet(at)gmail.com>
23 About *NIX: If its not fun, why do it?