From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:10:35
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560811230356l13b249cfm8fd974dfc493b094@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:56:36 +0000:
4
5 > with portage i had very often issues with having the deps discovered
6 > in the right way. of course when the system is up and running this
7 > isn't so much of a trouble, but when you set it up or when
8 > you do an upgrade that still has quite some deps discovered then the
9 > problem is to be seen.
10
11 Hmm... I've never had a major problem in that regard. At least not since
12 my initial from-stage-one installation back with 2004.0 (first try)
13 and .1 (actual success). But portage is so changed since then it's
14 really not worth considering, and it could have just as easily been my
15 goofs, I know I was learning a quite a bit as I went, or bad ebuilds.
16 Other than that, there has been perhaps an occasional minor niggle, but
17 nothing someone running ~arch shouldn't expect from time to time and be
18 able to work out or revert to a working version (perhaps the known
19 working version on the rootbak image, snapshot taken when the system was
20 in known bootable and reasonably stable condition) should it be necessary.
21
22 Personally, however, I suspect that stable isn't really that much more
23 stable than ~arch, and the fact that my portage stub-scripts for @world
24 and @system all use -aNuDv so I get a preview, deep dependencies don't
25 get behind and USE flag changes get managed right away, plus routine use
26 of revdep-rebuild and --depclean, possibly none of which those on stable
27 are likely to do regularly let alone religiously, has a lot to do with my
28 relatively smooth ride, even on ~arch.
29
30 > well, anyway, i always find good having
31 > at least 2 working package installers
32
33 I saw that point made a few days ago and thought it was a good one. Of
34 course, if I were to do it given my stated position, I'd be merging
35 pkgcore instead. However, I've a decent enough familiarity with portage
36 that in some cases at least, it's easier to actually work the problem,
37 than it would be to learn my way around a second PM.
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman