From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:56:51
1 2008/11/23 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
3 > d257c3560811230303g48cd3972mab017762f95ee51@××××××××××.com, excerpted
4 > below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:03:36 +0000:
5 >
6 >> non ability for binpkg of paludis
7 >
8 > I've wondered about that. binpkg is a seriously used feature here, even
9 > with just a single machine (well two now, but the second isn't running
10 > Gentoo yet), as it plays a big part in both my backup and troubleshooting
11 > routines. I've long argued that FEATURES=buildpkg is one of the most
12 > undersold great features of portage, particularly since at its core it's
13 > a simple bzip2ed tarball with a bit of extra data tacked on the end, so
14 > it's easily worked with using virtually any *ix based archiver tools you
15 > might prefer for exploration and/or extraction, emergency or otherwise.
16 >
17 > But as I've always said, he who writes the code, calls the shots, and
18 > those writing the paludis code obviously don't consider binpkgs that
19 > important, so the feature has yet to be implemented.
20 >
21 > Of course that has nothing to do with why I won't let it touch my system,
22 > despite my extremely high respect for the devs' technical abilities. I'm
23 > trying my best to stay nice here...
24 >
25 well, i don't want to start up a flame, but with portage i had very often issues
26 with having the deps discovered in the right way. of course when the system
27 is up and running this isn't so much of a trouble, but when you set it
28 up or when
29 you do an upgrade that still has quite some deps discovered then the problem
30 is to be seen. of course the hour it takes paludis to build a dual core with 4
31 compilation jobs is to be considered. portage only takes less than 30secs to
32 upgrade. well, anyway, i always find good having at least 2 working package
33 installers on my system so that i can see out bugs for one or the
34 other. also not
35 using the binpkg feature if one of then fails then the problem is quite big.
38 dott. ing. beso