From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: kde4, xorg, xf86-video-ati/radeon, and multi-panel display
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:39:46
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560811230303g48cd3972mab017762f95ee51@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:03:36 +0000:
4
5 > non ability for binpkg of paludis
6
7 I've wondered about that. binpkg is a seriously used feature here, even
8 with just a single machine (well two now, but the second isn't running
9 Gentoo yet), as it plays a big part in both my backup and troubleshooting
10 routines. I've long argued that FEATURES=buildpkg is one of the most
11 undersold great features of portage, particularly since at its core it's
12 a simple bzip2ed tarball with a bit of extra data tacked on the end, so
13 it's easily worked with using virtually any *ix based archiver tools you
14 might prefer for exploration and/or extraction, emergency or otherwise.
15
16 But as I've always said, he who writes the code, calls the shots, and
17 those writing the paludis code obviously don't consider binpkgs that
18 important, so the feature has yet to be implemented.
19
20 Of course that has nothing to do with why I won't let it touch my system,
21 despite my extremely high respect for the devs' technical abilities. I'm
22 trying my best to stay nice here...
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman