From: Brett Johnson <brett@××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install of amd64 with raid
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:11:53
1 On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 01:11:08PM +0200, Tomas Synek wrote:
2 > Hi Paul,
3 >
4 > I am not quite sure about using so called "hw raid". I used to have
5 > Silicon Image on my last mb and hw raid was only "bios raid" - when
6 > switched to raid0, kernel still saw two seperate discs.
7
8 The on-board RAID controllers and most add-in RAID controllers sold
9 through normal end-user channels are software RAID. Hardware RAID
10 controllers are very expensive, have a dedicated CPU (well SPU, storage
11 processor unit) and dedicated RAM for cache. Some even have dedicated
12 battery backups for the cache.
13
14 Even though you have to use the on board BIOS of the Silicon Image or
15 any other consumer RAID controller to configure the drives for RAID use,
16 the actual processing of the RAID is done by the OS and drivers, so it's
17 still software RAID.
18 --
19 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list