From: Tomas Synek <tomas.synek@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] New install of amd64 with raid
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:13:39
1 Hi Paul,
2
3 I am not quite sure about using so called "hw raid". I used to have
4 Silicon Image on my last mb and hw raid was only "bios raid" - when
5 switched to raid0, kernel still saw two seperate discs. I was quite
6 confused that time but sw-raid is very good option as I see today.
7
8 I'm using daemon "mdadm", it's very simple (without LVM). You need to
9 compile into kernel Promise PDC20378 driver and RAID support plus
10 drivers for your hw.
11
12 Have a look on this :
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
14 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_on_Software_RAID
17 t.
18
19 Paul Stear napsal(a):
20 > Hi all,
21 > I'm new to this list (migrating from x86) and am going to use my old windows
22 > amd64 box for linux.
23 > The motherboard has sata raid via Promise PDC20378 raid controller. I have
24 > downloaded gentoo linux 2006.1 amd64 live cd for the installation. Having
25 > looked at the install docs I am a little unsure of how to proceed.
26 > Do I set up the sata raid in the bios?
27 > Are the correct drivers on the install disc?
28 > Will this raid set boot ok?
29 > Do I need to setup any linux software raid?
30 >
31 > I just don't want to mess up the installation son any help will be gratefully
32 > received
33 >
34 > Regards
35 > Paul