From: Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] ~* or -* Keyworded packages
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:16:40
Miguel Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com> skribis:
> In conclusion, package mantainance needs a new organizational way to scale.. > Or should I simply move to ~amd64, just like any debian user sets its system > to testing without thinking twice, just after the install.
I suspect you want to move to ~amd64 and practice writing portage overlays. Expect an occasional uh-oh-its-broken, and take precautions, such as turning on portage logging and automatic binary packaging. I've also been saved by having an 'emergency compiler' in /usr/local. (I haven't gotten around to building an 'emergency binutils'.) Myself, I basically run ~amd64 but with the amd64 glibc, because I got tired of glibc versions going up and down, during a period in which that was happening a lot. This way I have a nice glibc that I rarely have to recompile. -- Barry.SCHWARTZ@×××××××××××××.org http://www.chemoelectric.org Esperantistoj rajtas skribi al Bojo ĉe chemoelectric.org. 'Democracies don't war; democracies are peaceful countries.' - Bush (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/12/20051219-2.html)