From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 01:29:08
1 "Bob Young" <BYoung@××××××××××.com> posted
2 FAEEIJPAOFEMBBLKPMJEIEMEHKAA.BYoung@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Fri, 29 Sep 2006 17:09:23 -0700:
4
5 [richard j. fish wrote]
6 >> No, but that is *my* opinion. However Duncan has stated previously
7 >> that, while he probably wouldn't be willing to die to defend his freedom
8 >> regarding open source software, that he _should_ be willing to do so.
9 >
10 > That is a very crucial difference, and deserves not to be glossed over.
11 > *Should* and *is* are two very different things. Men and women *have*
12 > actually died to protect our freedom, to equate something that isn't
13 > actually worth that ultimate price with the word, frankly, cheapens the
14 > word.
15
16 Indeed, but the fault there would be with my personal resolve. There are
17 many folks who aren't willing to give their lives for a freedom yet
18 realize and are grateful that others are so willing, and would still
19 consider them freedoms, even if they aren't willing to personally give
20 their lives for them. Many/most of these would also agree that they
21 /should/ be willing to give their life for those freedoms, whether they
22 /actually/ are or not. Thus, whether people are actually willing to do it
23 vs whether they think they /should/ be willing to do it has little bearing
24 on whether it can rightly be called a freedom or not. Certainly, I'd
25 argue that if someone's willing to give up physical freedoms, regardless
26 of whether they are willing to give their life, trading freedom for
27 freedom, as it were, that's far more than is the case with much of what we
28 already call freedom on a more ordinary scale.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list