From: Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift - slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:11:29
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: richard.j.fish@×××××.com [mailto:richard.j.fish@×××××.com]On
3 > Behalf Of Richard Fish
4 > Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 4:20 PM
5 > To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -
7 > slaveryware)
10 > On 9/29/06, Bob Young <BYoung@××××××××××.com> wrote:
11 > > Would you go to war, or be willing to die for the "freedom" that open
12 source
13 > > provides? If not, then equating it with the freedoms that real mean and
14 > > women have fought and died for is to marginalize the importance the word
15 is
16 > > meant to convey.
17 >
18 > No, but that is *my* opinion. However Duncan has stated previously
19 > that, while he probably wouldn't be willing to die to defend his
20 > freedom regarding open source software, that he _should_ be willing to
21 > do so.
22
23 That is a very crucial difference, and deserves not to be glossed over.
24 *Should* and *is* are two very different things. Men and women *have*
25 actually died to protect our freedom, to equate something that isn't
26 actually worth that ultimate price with the word, frankly, cheapens the
27 word.
28
29 >So by your standard, *his* use of those terms is really not
30 > all that far fetched.
31
32 See above.
35 > I do agree that the terms are very strong..much stronger than my
36 > feelings on the subject, which is why I do not use them. But you
37 > really should read what Duncan has said previously on this [1]. His
38 > feelings are very strong on the subject...strong enough to justify his
39 > use of these terms IMO.
40
41 Feelings don't change the meanings of words, and meanings are not dependent
42 upon the feelings/perspective of the person using them.
45 Regards
46 Bob Young
50 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list