From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mount iomegs 1tb external HD
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:45:19
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 09 March 2009 11:34:13 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > On Friday 06 March 2009 17:21:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >> >> Paul Stear wrote:
6 >> >> > On Friday 06 March 2009 16:43:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
7 >> >> >> If you're on KDE3, simply right-click on it's icon after you plug it
8 >> >> >> it. You'll find permissions and mount options there.  The important
9 >> >> >> thing is to enable the option "mount as user".
10 >> >> >
11 >> >> > Hi,
12 >> >> > When I switch the external drive on I get a screen "Medium type:
13 >> >> > Unmounted Removable Medium
14 >> >> > What do you want to do?
15 >> >> > The 2 options are open in new window or Do nothing.
16 >> >> > If I say open in new window I can see the drive but the permissions
17 >> >> > are read only.
18 >> >> > If I say do nothing then right click the icon on the desktop I only
19 >> >> > have the following options:-
20 >> >> > open
21 >> >> > copy
22 >> >> > open with
23 >> >> > Safely remove
24 >> >> > Open medium system folder
25 >> >> > Properties
26 >> >>
27 >> >> "Properties".
28 >> >
29 >> > Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been back in touch for a few
30 >> > days. If I click Properties and select the Permissions tab the User is
31 >> > -me(my user name), Group is root. On the access Permissions part the
32 >> > Owner is set to "Can View Contents".
33 >> > If I change this to "Can View & Modify Content" and click "OK" I get an
34 >> > error message "Could not change permissions for /media/lomega HDD".
35 >> > I am on kde3.10.
36 >> > Their must be a way of defining default permissions for anything plugged
37 >> > into the usb port.
38 >> > Can anyone help with this issue please.
39 >> > Thanks
40 >> > Paul
41 >>
42 >> I don't know if it's still true but for a long time the older NTFS
43 >> file system stuff in the kernel came up read-only by default. Have you
44 >> turned on ability to write in your kernel config?
45 >>
46 >> - Mark
47 >
48 > Thanks Mark,
49 > I have just checked the kernel and write is turned on.
50 > Any other ideas?
51 > Paul
52
53 I was wondering last night whether this is an issue with your specific
54 machine or Linux in general? You may not be willing to run the
55 experiment but my next step personally would be to do backups on the
56 drive and then to see whether a gparted CD could resize a partition.
57 If it can then you have an existence proof. If it doesn't then I'd
58 look to the folks that manage that software for a better answer. Keep
59 in mind that if gparted can resize the partition then the next time
60 you use the drive on your windows machine it's likely going to want to
61 run extensive tests to make sure nothing has gone wrong which will
62 take time. (Or does on my machine.)
63
64 - Mark