From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mount iomegs 1tb external HD
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 13:26:45
1 On Monday 09 March 2009 11:34:13 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Friday 06 March 2009 17:21:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> Paul Stear wrote:
5 > >> > On Friday 06 March 2009 16:43:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 > >> >> If you're on KDE3, simply right-click on it's icon after you plug it
7 > >> >> it. You'll find permissions and mount options there.  The important
8 > >> >> thing is to enable the option "mount as user".
9 > >> >
10 > >> > Hi,
11 > >> > When I switch the external drive on I get a screen "Medium type:
12 > >> > Unmounted Removable Medium
13 > >> > What do you want to do?
14 > >> > The 2 options are open in new window or Do nothing.
15 > >> > If I say open in new window I can see the drive but the permissions
16 > >> > are read only.
17 > >> > If I say do nothing then right click the icon on the desktop I only
18 > >> > have the following options:-
19 > >> > open
20 > >> > copy
21 > >> > open with
22 > >> > Safely remove
23 > >> > Open medium system folder
24 > >> > Properties
25 > >>
26 > >> "Properties".
27 > >
28 > > Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been back in touch for a few
29 > > days. If I click Properties and select the Permissions tab the User is
30 > > -me(my user name), Group is root. On the access Permissions part the
31 > > Owner is set to "Can View Contents".
32 > > If I change this to "Can View & Modify Content" and click "OK" I get an
33 > > error message "Could not change permissions for /media/lomega HDD".
34 > > I am on kde3.10.
35 > > Their must be a way of defining default permissions for anything plugged
36 > > into the usb port.
37 > > Can anyone help with this issue please.
38 > > Thanks
39 > > Paul
40 >
41 > I don't know if it's still true but for a long time the older NTFS
42 > file system stuff in the kernel came up read-only by default. Have you
43 > turned on ability to write in your kernel config?
44 >
45 > - Mark
46
47 Thanks Mark,
48 I have just checked the kernel and write is turned on.
49 Any other ideas?
50 Paul
53 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux