From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Mount iomegs 1tb external HD
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:34:15
1 On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Friday 06 March 2009 17:21:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> Paul Stear wrote:
4 >> > On Friday 06 March 2009 16:43:47 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >> >> If you're on KDE3, simply right-click on it's icon after you plug it it.
6 >> >>   You'll find permissions and mount options there.  The important thing
7 >> >> is to enable the option "mount as user".
8 >> >
9 >> > Hi,
10 >> > When I switch the external drive on I get a screen "Medium type:
11 >> > Unmounted Removable Medium
12 >> > What do you want to do?
13 >> > The 2 options are open in new window or Do nothing.
14 >> > If I say open in new window I can see the drive but the permissions are
15 >> > read only.
16 >> > If I say do nothing then right click the icon on the desktop I only have
17 >> > the following options:-
18 >> > open
19 >> > copy
20 >> > open with
21 >> > Safely remove
22 >> > Open medium system folder
23 >> > Properties
24 >>
25 >> "Properties".
26 >
27 > Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't been back in touch for a few days.
28 > If I click Properties and select the Permissions tab the User is -me(my user
29 > name), Group is root. On the access Permissions part the Owner is set to "Can
30 > View Contents".
31 > If I change this to "Can View & Modify Content" and click "OK" I get an error
32 > message "Could not change permissions for /media/lomega HDD".
33 > I am on kde3.10.
34 > Their must be a way of defining default permissions for anything plugged into
35 > the usb port.
36 > Can anyone help with this issue please.
37 > Thanks
38 > Paul
39
40 I don't know if it's still true but for a long time the older NTFS
41 file system stuff in the kernel came up read-only by default. Have you
42 turned on ability to write in your kernel config?
43
44 - Mark