From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: new clean rebuild
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 23:51:24
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560805181401j68c2acdfu869cbe9066872721@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 18 May 2008 21:01:47 +0000:
4
5 > have you ever tried to download multiple lines articles that don't have
6 > an article?! in these cases klibido does what it should do: saves the
7 > ammount of data and then you could be able to repair it later via par2
8 > blocks. pan instead blocks the download at 99% and there isn't any
9 > single way to have the part downloaded that far saved. this is an
10 > enormous flaw in pan's binary management that i cannot ignore.
11
12 Well, I did mention something about knowing some pan tricks. =8^)
13
14 First, I use a binary client a bit differently than some. I download
15 everything to cache first, then work with it from there. With pan, that
16 means enlarging its cache. As with many GNOME type apps (tho pan is
17 certainly better than many in this regard, probably the reason I still
18 use it while long ago giving up on GNOME in general), pan doesn't want to
19 complicate the GUI with complex config options, so cache size is only
20 adjustable by editing the config files (in this case preferences.xml)
21 directly. It's 10 MB by default, large enough to download and save but
22 not large enough to download to cache as I do. I use ~12 gigs for my
23 binary instance. (Using the PAN_HOME environmental flag and symlinks to
24 files in common, it's possible to run multiple instances with separate
25 configs, I run binary, text, test...) Anyway, working from cache gives
26 me the ability to sort and save to final location while I still know the
27 article title, poster, etc, thus the ability to use this in how and where
28 I save the file. It may also help with saving incomplete binaries... I'm
29 not sure on that but know I can.
30
31 Second, use the Articles, Read article option to manually force pan to
32 display what it has when it can't get the rest. Since I'm working from
33 cache, having fetched everything I could previously, I know when this
34 occurs so it's easier to do.
35
36 Third, when saving, if it won't save as binary or screws it up, I save as
37 text, then use uudeview to decode and save from the text files. I do use
38 a temp working area in this case to build the final files to save off.
39
40 I'm headed to work so will answer the other afterward.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list