From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: new clean rebuild
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 21:01:50
1 2008/5/18 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>:
2
3 > Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
4 > d257c3560805181148q66aa4b3cpd84d9e127a6dbfca@××××××××××.com, excerpted
5 > below, on Sun, 18 May 2008 18:48:38 +0000:
6 >
7 > > but
8 > > now i got an issue with db-4.6.21 which prevents klibido from starting.
9 >
10 > db upgrades database format frequently, I believe with every update tho
11 > it might be only minor versions (4.5, 4.6, etc). The formats are
12 > incompatible with each other. Therefore, anything built on db will need
13 > rebuilt to use the new format when you upgrade db, and all the info
14 > accumulated in the previous db format will die.
15 >
16 > For something like klibido, killing the old db isn't a big deal.
17 > However, klibido isn't widely used enough to make it a priority updating
18 > its ebuild when necessary to work with new db versions, so you must
19 > sometimes do so by hand. IIRC, it wasn't too difficult last time I did
20 > it, but it did take a bit of time.
21 >
22 > That's one of the reasons I eventually switched back to pan for binaries
23 > here, after it got automatic multiserver ability with the 0.9x+ rewrite.
24 > I had been using pan for text and binaries for some time and am in fact a
25 > senior regular on the pan lists/newsgroups (groups as seen thru gmane's
26 > list2news gateway, which is how I follow them, using pan, of course),
27 > then switched to klibido for binaries when it came out as pre-rewrite pan
28 > didn't handle multiple servers as well. However, due to the problems
29 > keeping klibido and db in sync, and the fact that I /have/ used pan so
30 > long and am relatively comfortable with it, /and/ the fact that I was
31 > already using it for text groups, it was just easier to switch back to
32 > using it for binaries as well, than to worry about keeping klibido
33 > running.
34 >
35 > The only problem is that as a normally KDE user, pan is my only major gtk
36 > using app. If I weren't using pan, I could probably ditch gtk entirely.
37 > However, it works better for me than knode for text so I had it and gtk
38 > on the system as it was, and using it for binaries too was easier than
39 > keeping up with klibido/db, tho it would have been the reverse if I
40 > wasn't already using pan for text.
41 >
42 > So anyway, if you've not tried it and already have gtk merged for other
43 > reasons anyway, consider pan for both text and binaries. Pan doesn't
44 > have the nice eye candy of klibido, but because it does text and text
45 > posting too, it's actually more functional.
48 i've rebuild klibido after db upgrade but it still hangs.
49 have you ever tried to download multiple lines articles that don't have an
50 article?! in these cases klibido does what it should do:
51 saves the ammount of data and then you could be able to repair it later via
52 par2 blocks. pan instead blocks the download at 99% and there isn't any
53 single way to have the part downloaded that far saved. this is an enormous
54 flaw in pan's binary management that i cannot ignore. also i cannot
55 understand why the hell kde insist on knode instead of putting klibido in
56 its place. damn, there's kmail that does a part of knode and it does better
57 and there is klibido that does what knode does in a far far far better way
58 and also it has better stuff.
59 i've tried the nzb qt4 package but either it's me that is idiot or the
60 program that simply doesn't work.
61
62 anyway, do you have some advices for a full system rebuild configuration?! i
63 seem to remember that you're using kde4-svn version. are you by chance using
64 it with xorg-git version?!
67 dott. ing. beso