From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: new clean rebuild
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 20:05:08
1 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com> posted
2 d257c3560805181148q66aa4b3cpd84d9e127a6dbfca@××××××××××.com, excerpted
3 below, on Sun, 18 May 2008 18:48:38 +0000:
4
5 > but
6 > now i got an issue with db-4.6.21 which prevents klibido from starting.
7
8 db upgrades database format frequently, I believe with every update tho
9 it might be only minor versions (4.5, 4.6, etc). The formats are
10 incompatible with each other. Therefore, anything built on db will need
11 rebuilt to use the new format when you upgrade db, and all the info
12 accumulated in the previous db format will die.
13
14 For something like klibido, killing the old db isn't a big deal.
15 However, klibido isn't widely used enough to make it a priority updating
16 its ebuild when necessary to work with new db versions, so you must
17 sometimes do so by hand. IIRC, it wasn't too difficult last time I did
18 it, but it did take a bit of time.
19
20 That's one of the reasons I eventually switched back to pan for binaries
21 here, after it got automatic multiserver ability with the 0.9x+ rewrite.
22 I had been using pan for text and binaries for some time and am in fact a
23 senior regular on the pan lists/newsgroups (groups as seen thru gmane's
24 list2news gateway, which is how I follow them, using pan, of course),
25 then switched to klibido for binaries when it came out as pre-rewrite pan
26 didn't handle multiple servers as well. However, due to the problems
27 keeping klibido and db in sync, and the fact that I /have/ used pan so
28 long and am relatively comfortable with it, /and/ the fact that I was
29 already using it for text groups, it was just easier to switch back to
30 using it for binaries as well, than to worry about keeping klibido
31 running.
32
33 The only problem is that as a normally KDE user, pan is my only major gtk
34 using app. If I weren't using pan, I could probably ditch gtk entirely.
35 However, it works better for me than knode for text so I had it and gtk
36 on the system as it was, and using it for binaries too was easier than
37 keeping up with klibido/db, tho it would have been the reverse if I
38 wasn't already using pan for text.
39
40 So anyway, if you've not tried it and already have gtk merged for other
41 reasons anyway, consider pan for both text and binaries. Pan doesn't
42 have the nice eye candy of klibido, but because it does text and text
43 posting too, it's actually more functional.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
51 gentoo-amd64@l.g.o mailing list