From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new clean rebuild
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 18:48:40
1 2008/5/18 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Drake Donahue <donahue95@×××××××.net>
4 > wrote:
5 > > ----- Original Message -----
6 > >>
7 > >> From: Beso
8 > >> To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
9 > >> Sent: Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:04 PM
10 > >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] new clean rebuild
11 > >
12 > > <snip><beso discussed rebuild>
13 > >
14 > >> 2008/5/17 Mark Knecht markknecht@×××××.com
15 > >
16 > > said in part in reply:
17 > >
18 > >> 1) Mask >grub-0.97.r4 for now.
19 > >
20 > > Recommend not doing the step above.
21 > >
22 > > In contrast to my experience a week ago when ext2/ext3 filesystems were
23 > > being built with INODE_SIZE=128 (in spite of a default INODE_SIZE=256 in
24 > > the /etc/mke2fs.conf file}; yesterday, an up-to-date mke2fs was honoring
25 > > the default setting and producing ext2/ext3 filesystems with
26 > > INODE_SIZE=256.
27 > > If one runs mke2fs as suggested in the handbook to create a filesystem
28 > for
29 > > use as /boot the filesystem will have INODE_SIZE=256. Therefore
30 > > grub-0.97.r4 and older will not be able to setup a stage
31 > 1/stage1.5/stage2
32 > > capable of loading /boot. At the point the handbook follower finds that
33 > grub
34 > > 0.97.4 is reporting:
35 > > <quote>
36 > > grub> setup (hd0)
37 > > Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
38 > > Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... no
39 > >
40 > > Error 2: Bad file or directory type
41 > > <unquote>
42 > > The valid recovery choices then will be:
43 > > a) unmask grub, emerge grub (version 0.97.5 or newer), run grub and setup
44 > > the desired drive
45 > > or
46 > > b) move or copy /boot and subdirectories to another partition, remake the
47 > > filesystem specifying INODE_SIZE=128, return /boot and subdirectories to
48 > the
49 > > remade partition, run grub setup the desired drive.
50 > >
51 > > <snip><Mark suggested rebuild techniques><beso further discussed/replied>
52 > >
53 > > Beso said in part in reply:
54 > >
55 > >> ps. i've never had any problems with grub, unless the fact that i'm not
56 > >> able to rebuild it with the grubfx >image (as the opensuse version).
57 > >
58 > > I've played extensively with grub 0.97-r5 in the last 10 days and it is
59 > not
60 > > a problem.
61 > > Should also be noted that emerging/installing grub has no affect on the
62 > > ability to boot an existing installation. Effects are not felt until grub
63 > or
64 > > grub-install is run or grub.conf is edited.
65 >
66 > Drake,
67 > Thanks very much for the info. It makes me feel *slightly* better,
68 > but still I feel I need to study a bit more.
69 >
70 > My recommendation to Beso was based on the trouble you were having.
71 > Personally I don't know of any *major* advantage to 0.9-r5 so on my
72 > existing machines I've masked it out until I really understand how to
73 > upgrade it without problems. (I think I do but again I wanted to study
74 > it and didn't want any suggestion I gave Beso to cause him problems.
75 >
76 > I did rebuild a couple of old boxes this last week from scratch. On
77 > those machines I used 0.97-r5 and on a 'from scratch' installation it
78 > worked fine, other than an issue with not having a menu.lst link on
79 > one machine.
82 it seems like a ext2/ext3 problem. i use reiserfs and it doesn't seem
83 affected by this issue. i can run grub, grub-install and modify the
84 grub.conf without any issue.
85 anyway, i think that in the next days i'll start out the new rebuild, but
86 now i got an issue with db-4.6.21 which prevents klibido from starting. my
87 system really needs a full rebuild.... :-(
88
89 thanks for your tips.
90 --
91 dott. ing. beso