From: "Joel Wirāmu Pauling" <aenertia@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Wifi adaptor recommendations
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 05:04:06
1 N DOES NOT HELP at hotels. N over 2.4ghz forces ALL stations on that
2 broadcast bandwidth (yes even those not participating) to downgrade to
3 Legacy mode ( this behaviour is stupid, but that's what we get for
4 backwards compatibility of mac80211 that should hace been abandonded after
5 G for a complete redesign ). And there is always some device in hotels that
6 ensures you will almost never get anything useable out on 2.4ghz channels.
7
8 5ghz (a and ac or a+n) ammeloriates this, and because of the narroweer and
9 more abundant bands and channel options.
10
11 The chances are however likely you're get shapped to hell by their captive
12 portal before either of these issues. That class of hotel in the states you
13 will be lucky with 3 mbit per device, be happy with 10 or 15 for the
14 premium paid step option.
15
16 As others have said it is time to replace your G device (not least because
17 you are a culprit of said above behaviour ;-) ... you can get 3x3 dual band
18 dual proc ath9k+ath10k routers that are openwrt-able for 50-70$ (i liked
19 the tplink ac1750 v2 As a budget buy, but i hear the v3's require using
20 lftp mode to flash ).
21
22 Look on openwrt.org for suggestions.
23
24 Bridge mode is a BS proprietary method ONLY implemented on bcm2xxx chips.
25 You can achieve what you want with relayd (Bridges l2 broadcast domain of
26 ANY two networks regardless) on ANY router running openwrt.
27
28 -Joel