From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:25:05
1 Dice R. Random wrote:
2 >
3 > It is not necessary to tell gcc to use special instruction sets for
4 > your processor. When you specify -march gcc automatically knows
5 > exactly what instructions your processor is capable of utilizing most
6 > effectively.
7 I'm not sure about this. Tonight I'll make a test: I'll compile a
8 package with and without these flags and watch the output and the outcome.
11 > I am not familiar with PIC, but if portage gives a big red warning
12 > about explicitly enabling it in your CFLAGS I'm sure that there have
13 > been problems with it. If a package requires the flag then it should
14 > enable it in its own local CFLAGS.
15 >
16 Already answered about Position Independent Code and why I use it.
17 Shortly: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/prelink-howto.xml
18 > A 3dnow instruction path isn't always the best optimization for every
19 > user and every package. Also, AMD's Athlon and Opteron processors are
20 > not the only ones supported under the amd64 arch, there are also
21 > Intel's x86-64 processors to consider. While I imagine that Intel
22 > processors can execute 3dnow instructions I also imagine that SSE
23 > would be faster.
24 I'm really not sure here. I cant tell which is better -3dnow(ext) or
25 sse{1..3}, but isn't it best if one enables all kinds of optimizations
26 supported by the CPU?
29 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list