From: "Dice R. Random" <dicerandom@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] First Impressions
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 06:33:25
1 On 9/26/06, Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello, everyone!
3
4 Hi :)
5
6 > 1) I use CFLAGS="-march=athlon64 -mfpmath=sse -msse -msse2 -msse3
7 > -m3dnow -mmmx -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fpic". Portage complains
8 > with *red letters* about the fpic flag. Every time I emerge something it
9 > says that "fpic breaks things", but I haven't met a single breakage so
10 > far. Is that a bug? Actually there was an ebuild which could not be
11 > compiled if mysql was compiled w/o "fpic". I'm not 100% sure but AFAIR
12 > it was dev-perl/DBD-mysql.
13
14 It is not necessary to tell gcc to use special instruction sets for
15 your processor. When you specify -march gcc automatically knows
16 exactly what instructions your processor is capable of utilizing most
17 effectively.
18
19 I am not familiar with PIC, but if portage gives a big red warning
20 about explicitly enabling it in your CFLAGS I'm sure that there have
21 been problems with it. If a package requires the flag then it should
22 enable it in its own local CFLAGS.
23
24 > 2) I see too many flags that are disabled by the profile - the kind with
25 > the parenthesis around them, like "(-3dnow)". Why? As I mentioned above
26 > I enable some of these through my CFLAGS - e.g. (-mmx), (-mmxext),
27 > (-sse) and (-sse2) and everything works perfect.
28
29 A 3dnow instruction path isn't always the best optimization for every
30 user and every package. Also, AMD's Athlon and Opteron processors are
31 not the only ones supported under the amd64 arch, there are also
32 Intel's x86-64 processors to consider. While I imagine that Intel
33 processors can execute 3dnow instructions I also imagine that SSE
34 would be faster.
35 --
36 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list