From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Terminal control codes
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 04:09:47
1 "Peter Humphrey" <prh@××××××××××.uk> posted
2 20070102170933.15EE52B6F39@×××××××××××××××.uk, excerpted below, on Tue,
3 02 Jan 2007 17:09:28 +0000:
4
5 > Somewhere in the documents I read that the size of the scrollback
6 > buffer can be declared in a kernel command, something like
7 > "fbcon=scrollback:1024k. When I do that though, the kernel boots ok but
8 > scrollback is disabled.
9
10 Naturally, something like fbcon would require a framebuffer console, a
11 kernel (pre-compile) config option. For VGACON...
12
13 You may be looking for the video= parameters, in particular
14 video=scrollback. See section 5.2 of the bootprompt HOWTO, here:
15 http://tldp.org/HOWTO/text/BootPrompt-HOWTO.
16
17 However, IIRC the kernel folks dramatically increased the default
18 recently, and with kernel 2.6.19 at least (I think it was before that but
19 can't remember when), I've been able to eliminate that parameter from my
20 grub.conf entirely, and had to go look it up. I can now scrollback the
21 /entire/ boot sequence, from the login prompt, all the way back thru where
22 init and the Gentoo initscripts take over, back thru the many pages of
23 kernel init itself, and even before that, where grub prints its last
24 output as it loads the kernel before switching to it. I'd never seen
25 those lines before, as they are normally scrolled off the top of the
26 screen by the first kernel messages before the monitor even resets from
27 the grub menu graphic mode!
28
29 There are a couple caveats, however. First, switching between VCs loses
30 the scrollback context, so all you have is what's actually on the screen.
31 Second and this is what was actually preventing me scrolling back further
32 for awhile, if you reset the console font (Gentoo's consolefont service),
33 it resets the scroll buffer. Since the consolefont service starts
34 relatively late in the process, using it means you lose most of the
35 boot-time scrollback, altho you can still get most of the info from syslog
36 and/or dmesg -- but not that last bit of grub output! =8^(
37
38 In addition to setting vga=0x0133 for a normal 132x44 character console
39 (720x400 px), I /had/ been setting the consolefont to gr737c-8x6, giving me
40 an even higher resolution while still very readable, but I've disabled
41 that now, sticking with 132x44, so I can scrollback the entire boot when
42 necessary. 132x44 is good enough for the CLI VC. If I need more than
43 that, I'll start KDE and use konsole. There may be a way to compile that
44 font into the kernel and use it by default, but I'm not advanced enough to
45 know how to do it, so...
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
53 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list