From: Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 02:14:08
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Bob Young wrote:
5 >
6 > That being said, way less than 5 percent of the population has even
7 > the slightest bit of interest in learning the things that you and I
8 > have chosen to dig in to...Those people are no less "free" for using
9 > CSS, and the fact is, that "those people" are the vast majority of
10 > the population.
14 Actually, I'd tend to differ on this point. Many people on this list
15 either currently do or eventually will work in a non-IT-oriented
16 industry. Such industries tend to not hire many programmers, and those
17 that they do hire tend to coordinate outsourced effort, and function
18 mainly as integrators of pre-packaged functionality. Even so, most of
19 these industries will require their vendors to escrow their source code
20 and will generally prefer FOSS when all other things are equal (which
21 unfortunately is not always the case). Why? They'll NEVER modify the
22 source code themselves, so why should they care? Simple - one day if
23 their vendor doesn't meet their needs they can give that source code to
24 somebody else to maintain - possibly another vendor who can use the
25 source to smooth the migration process to their platform.
26
27 Would you buy a car that used 387/863" bolts and parts of other
28 non-standard dimensions? You might never fix your own car, but you will
29 recognize that if you buy something that follows a standard it will be
30 cheaper for you to pay others to fix it. A car which uses parts which
31 have been around for 10 years will be VERY cheap to maintain compared to
32 one that requires import parts from a single supplier.
33
34 Open-source software has a lot of benefits even for non-programmers.
35 Buy a proprietary DVR and you can almost guarantee that you won't be
36 able to migrate your programming when you upgrade models in a few years,
37 and you probably won't be able to upgrade it. Buy a pre-packaged DVR
38 that uses FOSS and most likely there WILL be an upgrade and migration
39 path - it might cost you to have it taken care of for you, but with the
40 proprietary system it will cost you a LOT more.
41
42 So, FOSS has a lot of potential to benefit ordinary computer users. Not
43 just those who tinker with their PCs.
44
45 Does that mean that it ALWAYS makes sense to use an FOSS package, when a
46 proprietary package better meets your requirements? Of course not!
47 But, I always put FOSS on MY list of requirements, and if I have to
48 trade-off one requirement for another I do so as-needed. But, I've
49 gotten burned by proprietary software many times, so I'm inclined to
50 lean towards FOSS unless it really doesn't meet some fundamental need.
51 You have to figure in the total cost of ownership - which includes
52 future expansion and migration to the next platform. Sure, it is easier
53 to store my email in Outlook than in a .maildir served up by IMAP - but
54 when the next fancy email client comes along the latter requires zero
55 effort to migrate.
56
57 Just my two cents - if you feel some requirement is lacking in FOSS
58 proprietary software might be right for you. But factor in all the
59 costs - it might not be as good a choice as it appears on the surface.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature