From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:57:49
1 Richard Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net> posted
2 451DD1EF.3040309@××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on Fri, 29 Sep 2006
3 22:09:51 -0400:
4
5 > Open-source software has a lot of benefits even for non-programmers. Buy a
6 > proprietary DVR and you can almost guarantee that you won't be able to
7 > migrate your programming when you upgrade models in a few years, and you
8 > probably won't be able to upgrade it. Buy a pre-packaged DVR that uses
9 > FOSS and most likely there WILL be an upgrade and migration path - it
10 > might cost you to have it taken care of for you, but with the proprietary
11 > system it will cost you a LOT more.
12
13 Very good point indeed. I don't have a DVR as I dropped TV some years ago
14 (I don't like being treated like a programable zombie by the ads, neither
15 do I much care for programming obviously targeted at the folks most likely
16 to be effectively programmed to buy what they obviously don't need by
17 repeating an ad a few times), but the same thing applies to both routers
18 and mp3 players. I've been spending some time recently researching both,
19 for my next upgrades. My next router will likely be a Linksys WRT
20 compatible router (if it's not, it'll be a full computer running a
21 conventional x86 or x86_64/amd64 based Linux kernel), bought with the
22 intent of upgrading it to one of the several open source firmware
23 alternatives available. Likewise, my next mp3 player, which will be my
24 first hard drive based unit, will be purchased with the intent of
25 upgrading it to rockbox or a similar alternative, as well as upgrading the
26 hard drive to a 120 gig or so model.
27
28 I'm not a programmer, but the ability to upgrade these devices and choose
29 from multiple sources for firmware is pretty valuable to me -- and
30 evidently to a lot of other folks, programmer and non-programmer alike, as
31 well. Just because these folks can't do it themselves matters little, as
32 long as they can replace the firmware, and the hardware is open enough
33 (intentionally or not) so those that /can/ program, can do their thing and
34 create alternative firmware for the rest of us to use.
39 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
42 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list