From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:32:48
1 On Saturday 30 September 2006 01:55, "Duncan" <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-amd64] Re: How To Play WMV (thread drift -slaveryware)':
3 > I've been spending some time recently
4 > researching [routers and mp3 players] both, for my next upgrades.
5 > My next router will likely be a
6 > Linksys WRT compatible router
7
8 I've had good luck running OpenWRT on the older models (v1.1 and v2). The
9 newer non-L(inux) models [which can have Linux installed on them by the
10 user, after killing VxWorks] have fewer resources, so DD-WRT might be more
11 appropriate, but I don't have any experience with that. The newer L(inux)
12 models come at a premium and may not be carried everywhere, but OpenWRT is
13 a fine choice for them.
14
15 If the load on the LAN will be large, be aware that the WRT hw does have
16 some issues under heavy load, particularly when the number of TCP
17 connections being created is high which happens with some P2P clients.
18
19 > (if it's not, it'll be a full computer
20 > running a conventional x86 or x86_64/amd64 based Linux kernel), bought
21 > with the intent of upgrading it to one of the several open source
22 > firmware alternatives available.
23
24 If you need GigE speeds for the LAN, be sure to find a main board with good
25 buses. No PC NICs that I know of support HW level routing at any layer,
26 so every packet that is routed has to cross your bus twice, once going to
27 memory and once going back to that (or another) NIC. The standard PCI bus
28 (not PCI-X or PCI-e) can only support 4 Gbps in the best of conditions,
29 which means only about 2 GigE clients.
30
31 > Likewise, my next mp3 player, which
32 > will be my first hard drive based unit, will be purchased with the
33 > intent of upgrading it to rockbox or a similar alternative, as well as
34 > upgrading the hard drive to a 120 gig or so model.
35
36 While the HD isn't upgradable, the iRiver H10 line will run Rockbox. IIRC,
37 the older H300 models do as well. I've be very happy with my iFP-799,
38 although I do use a hacked firmware, which improves the range of Vorbis
39 bitrates the player supports. (The native vorbis support of the iFP line
40 was the main reason I purchased from iRiver.) IIRC, Rockbox is also being
41 ported to the iFP line, but that port is not complete. Once I feel
42 installing RockBox is safe, I'll probably upgrade my iFP to it.
45 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
46 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
47 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
48 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh