From: czernitko <czernitko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:22:23
1 Whoaa, it seems you are right, Henry, according to the
2 specs<http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&docname=c03769023#N1192>on
3 HP site this case really DOES have only one bay. It seems the
4 technician
5 was lying :(. Is there any chance of returning the PC for full refund as it
6 wasn't delivered per requested specs?
7 As for the Grub prublem, I thing you will not need any MBR boot loader. As
8 the computer is preinstalled with Windows 8, my bets are on UEFI firmware
9 in your motherboard which means your HDD should be in GPT format (no
10 old-fashioned MBR with all the gotchas). Booting UEFI might seem more
11 laborous for a novice, but if you read a few articles you will find it to
12 be way more reliable boot method than MBR/Grub. In fact, the only thing you
13 need to do is to build your gentoo kernel with EFI_STUB and few other
14 options, put your kernel bzImage on some fat32 partition and add a boot
15 entry into your UEFI(=bios). Most UEFIs are capable to work as boot
16 managers and boot loaders and they will do the Grub's work.
17 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UEFI_Gentoo_Quick_Install_Guide
18 Regards,
19 Peter
22 2013/8/28 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>