From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo AMD64 <gentoo-amd64@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:56:22
1 On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 8/28/2013 3:46 PM, czernitko wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Hi, it seems improbable that your desktop PC would have only one HDD slot.
5 >> Could you post your exact model number please? :)
6 >> To give you some hope, I have had Linux installed on external hdd for
7 >> daily use for about two years. It is at least five years back, it was over
8 >> USB 2.0 and worked quite well. I did some photo editing and retouching and
9 >> it was ok.
10 >> How big is your internal drive anyway? Isn't it possible to use around
11 >> 30GB for Gentoo system partition? Or do you just want to keep original hdd
12 >> intact?
13 >> Regards,
14 >> Peter
15 >>
16 >> Hi,
17 >> If you really need a new drive (i.e. - the one that came with your
18 >> machine is just too small, etc.) then I'd look at imaging the drive
19 >> that's currently installed, putting in a larger drive, partitioning
20 >> this larger drive to hold both Gentoo and what ever M$ OS you might be
21 >> using, and then just work to get both OS's working but keep the
22 >> current drive on the shelf as a backup. This way you could always go
23 >> back to what you have.
24 >>
25 >> Just an idea.
26 >>
27 >> Good luck,
28 >> Mark
29 >> To the point of the original poster: I currently use a Lenovo W520 laptop.
30 >> I have a USB3 external hard drive that I mostly use for backup, but I have
31 >> occasionally edited some audio (small audio files using Audacity) directly
32 >> on the external drive. Again, it's not the OS drive, so temp files and
33 >> such
34 >> are most likely stored on the internal drive, but I know that Audacity
35 >> operates in the directory in which the project is located, so it's still
36 >> doing a fair bit of I/O to that external drive.
37 >>
38 >> Hope this helps!
39 >>
40 >> ~David
43 > Thanks all for helpful suggestions!
44 >
45 > First off, capacity of current internal drive is not really an issue with
46 > me... it is 2 TB... I tried installing Gentoo on another (very much older
47 > computer) a while ago & had problems installing Grub, with Gentoo, as I was
48 > dual booting with windows (not to mention conflicts with xstart & my old
49 > integrated SIS graphics card)... so my thinking is to install Gentoo on a
50 > whole other HD... which seemed to work out on my old computer (or perhaps it
51 > was simpler to do for a Gentoo novice, like myself).
52 >
53 > & Peter, I'm with you... I have not seen a desktop computer that didn't have
54 > at least one expansion bay (not that I've seen that many)... but apparently
55 > this HP Pavillion 500-046 does not. & I really had to dig to find out (the
56 > hard way).
57 >
58 > Good to hear that some have had some measure of success with external drives
59 > & Gentoo, rather sounds like I'll just have to try it...
60 >
61 > I have done a little more research since my earlier post, & I see that LaCie
62 > (& possibly others) make/sell an external drive that has usb 2 & 3/firewire
63 > 400 & 800/eSata (& there are, it seems, some extra Sata slots on the mother
64 > board of this HP computer).
65 >
66 > My plan, in fact, after a installation of Gentoo... would be to shrink the 2
67 > TB partition that is currently formatted in NTS... (Windows 8), use the
68 > other partition formatted in ext 4 (i.e., Linux) data storage.
69 >
70 > Henry
71 > (who's trying hard to get away from windows, again (been using various
72 > flavors of Linux for about five years)
76 Henry,
77 A couple of points:
78
79 1) Not all computers will boot from an external USB drive. If you have
80 one around you can maybe do some experiments before you invest a lot
81 of time and find yourself stymied.
82
83 2) grub is not a requirement to boot Gentoo. There are links out there
84 demonstrating how to modify the Windows boot config files to allow you
85 to boot other OS's. I don't do it myself so I don't know what the
86 state of the Win 8 boot loader is in that respect, but there were ways
87 to do this with Win NT. If it's of interest then check it out.
88
89 Good luck,
90 Mark