From: "Henry W. Peters" <hwpeters@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:40:21
1 On 8/28/2013 3:46 PM, czernitko wrote:
2 > Hi, it seems improbable that your desktop PC would have only one HDD
3 > slot. Could you post your exact model number please? :)
4 > To give you some hope, I have had Linux installed on external hdd for
5 > daily use for about two years. It is at least five years back, it was
6 > over USB 2.0 and worked quite well. I did some photo editing and
7 > retouching and it was ok.
8 > How big is your internal drive anyway? Isn't it possible to use around
9 > 30GB for Gentoo system partition? Or do you just want to keep original
10 > hdd intact?
11 > Regards,
12 > Peter
13 > ​
14 > Hi,
15 > If you really need a new drive (i.e. - the one that came with your
16 > machine is just too small, etc.) then I'd look at imaging the drive
17 > that's currently installed, putting in a larger drive, partitioning
18 > this larger drive to hold both Gentoo and what ever M$ OS you might be
19 > using, and then just work to get both OS's working but keep the
20 > current drive on the shelf as a backup. This way you could always go
21 > back to what you have.
22 >
23 > Just an idea.
24 >
25 > Good luck,
26 > Mark
27 > To the point of the original poster: I currently use a Lenovo W520 laptop.
28 > I have a USB3 external hard drive that I mostly use for backup, but I have
29 > occasionally edited some audio (small audio files using Audacity) directly
30 > on the external drive. Again, it's not the OS drive, so temp files and such
31 > are most likely stored on the internal drive, but I know that Audacity
32 > operates in the directory in which the project is located, so it's still
33 > doing a fair bit of I/O to that external drive.
34 >
35 > Hope this helps!
36 >
37 > ~David
38
39 Thanks all for helpful suggestions!
40
41 First off, capacity of current internal drive is not really an issue
42 with me... it is 2 TB... I tried installing Gentoo on another (very much
43 older computer) a while ago & had problems installing Grub, with Gentoo,
44 as I was dual booting with windows (not to mention conflicts with xstart
45 & my old integrated SIS graphics card)... so my thinking is to install
46 Gentoo on a whole other HD... which seemed to work out on my old
47 computer (or perhaps it was simpler to do for a Gentoo novice, like myself).
48
49 & Peter, I'm with you... I have not seen a desktop computer that didn't
50 have at least one expansion bay (not that I've seen that many)... but
51 apparently this HP Pavillion 500-046 does not. & I really had to dig to
52 find out (the hard way).
53
54 Good to hear that some have had some measure of success with external
55 drives & Gentoo, rather sounds like I'll just have to try it...
56
57 I have done a little more research since my earlier post, & I see that
58 LaCie (& possibly others) make/sell an external drive that has usb 2 &
59 3/firewire 400 & 800/eSata (& there are, it seems, some extra Sata slots
60 on the mother board of this HP computer).
61
62 My plan, in fact, after a installation of Gentoo... would be to shrink
63 the 2 TB partition that is currently formatted in NTS... (Windows 8),
64 use the other partition formatted in ext 4 (i.e., Linux) data storage.
65
66 Henry
67 (who's trying hard to get away from windows, again (been using various
68 flavors of Linux for about five years)