From: Robert David <robert.david.public@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Cc: hwpeters@××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Hard drive (installation)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 21:18:36
1 Hy Henry,
2
3 if your system is able to boot from USB it is not problem to deploy
4 gentoo on external drive.
5
6 You can just install gentoo on that drive the same way as you will
7 install it on internal hdd. You will just install on /dev/sdb (or the
8 correct drive). Also the grub can be placed there. Just think of it as
9 a normal drive. Only difference is that you need usb, mass storage and
10 correct filesystem modules in kernel builtin or in initramfs. When
11 using external drive I would use better UUID when defining root in
12 fstab/grub, or better use LVM (I would use zfs, but thats pretty
13 different story).
14
15 Yes there are desktops without second hdd bay, even without another
16 sata connector, for example a lot of Dell SFF desktop computers.
17
18 Robert.
21 On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:39:47 -0400