From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] External HD to work with Gentoo and Vista.
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:25:18
1 El Vie, 20 de Marzo de 2009, 16:26, Paul Hartman escribió:
2 > On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> In recent kernels there is also direct writable support (stable, not
5 >>> experimental support) for NTFS without having to use NTFS-3G/FUSE.
6 >>
7 >> Really??
10 >> Just how recent do you mean?
11 >> Is it reliable? Are there any constraints left, such has 'only
12 >> overwriting files the same size' and such show-stoppers?
13 >>
14 >> To make my question really clear: IS IT READY FOR DAILY USE??
17 >> If so, I love you, and want your babys Ben, for letting me know... ;)
20 >> Tom
23 > If you mount using the userspace tools, yes it is ready for daily use
24 > :) The kernel driver still has limitations like, IIRC, being unable to
25 > create/rename/delete directories, and some other basic things like that.
26 >
27 > Using the FUSE tools from the classical NTFS driver you can do those
28 > things and the rest, but I think NTFS-3G is generally considered better.
29 > Most of the big distros use NTFS-3G as their default NTFS
30 > driver (as do I <g>)
31 >
32 > For more NTFS info than you ever wanted, check out www.linux-ntfs.org
33 > for the classic kernel driver and www.ntfs-3g.org for the newer driver.
37 Paul, if you need to know about the current status I advice
38 you to start with the text on the help section of the relevant
39 item in menuconfig, and with any related file under the
40 documentation directory in your kernel source tree. In the
41 help section for ntfs write support we can read this:
44 ============================================
45 CONFIG_NTFS_RW:
46
47 This enables the partial, but safe, write support in the NTFS driver.
48
49 The only supported operation is overwriting existing files, without
50 changing the file length. No file or directory creation, deletion or
51 renaming is possible. Note only non-resident files can be written to
52 so you may find that some very small files (<500 bytes or so) cannot
53 be written to.
55
56 Which in my language mean that it's not ready at all. Besides that
57 I don't think it has a so great user base, that means that there
58 might be other problems that have been completely unnoticed. In
59 short, I wouldn't use that driver with write support at all, that
60 is, if you value your data.
63 Jesús Guerrero